III. Symbols of the University
A. Institutional Seal
The Roman goddess of wisdom, Minerva, stands within a rope-like band which encloses the words “The University of Alabama”. To her left is an open scroll and she holds an olive branch in her left hand. Her right hand rests on a globe. The sun is depicted in the background to her right. In the words of Israel Pickens, governor of the newly formed State of Alabama, this “represents the light of science beaming on this hemisphere so lately emerged from a heathenish wilderness.” (See copy on title page.)
B. University Name
The University’s official name, The University of Alabama, is protected by copyright and may be used only for official business of the University. Anyone wishing to use the University name, or such popular names as “The Crimson Tide” or “Bama”, or the seal, or any materials implying an official endorsement by the University for commercial purposes or for any non-official business, must receive prior permission from the Licensing Department. Use of University stationery for non-university correspondence or consulting work is prohibited, except when such use is permitted by law and is a normal part of the individual’s professional academic activities.
The colors crimson and white have been associated with sports activities of the University since the late 1880′s when American football began to be played in Tuscaloosa as a collegiate sport. Today, Alabama athletic teams are called The Crimson Tide and the student newspaper is named the Crimson-White.
D. Denny Chimes
This 115-foot bell tower, erected in 1929, stands in the main quadrangle of the campus and houses a complete campanile carillon. The carillon includes a set of 25 bronze bells, the smallest of which is three feet in diameter, and 305 small bells. There is a manual keyboard that can be played by a carillonneur and also an automatic player that strikes every quarter hour and can play musical programs.
E. President’s Home
The Home, completed early in 1841, is one of the state’s best examples of Greek Revival architecture. It was one of the few buildings saved during the general destruction of the campus at the close of the Civil War. It was last renovated in 1997, through a gift from Jack Warner, and it continues to serve as the official residence of the University President.
F. Gorgas Home
The Gorgas Home was completed in 1829 as a University dining hall. It was built in the “low country raised cottage” style of colonial architecture with bricks laid in Flemish bond. The house served as the Gorgas home from 1873 until 1944 when the State Legislature established it as a state shrine and a permanent memorial to the Gorgas family. It has now been completely restored and is open to the public daily.